Sunday, April 18, 2010
You Know You're a Mom When...
Week of April 18
1. You get asked at the airport (as you’re being searched and your pump being manhandled) what exactly that device is that you’re carrying with all the funny pieces and parts. Hello – have they not scanned at least one breast pump? Statistics say about 30% of us are still pumping and working…but apparently not traveling.
2. Your child goes to day care with two mismatched socks. And this time, you just don’t care. In fact, you decide to turn it into a trend.
3. You find valuable uses for hangers, cooking spoons and Tupperware: instruments.
4. You clutch your “Mom” charm on a long flight to CA, hoping the little pieces of sterling silver will bring fill the big pieces of your heart that suddenly feel like they’re missing.
5. You sneak into your child’s bedroom at 3 a.m. with your iPhone to catch him in his tush up tummy down position. Next, you sit and ponder how that doesn’t cause major neck pain in the morning.
6. The greatest part of the weekends now involves smuggling your little one into bed with you to convince him to sleep an extra 30 minutes. Note this doesn’t help at all, because you’re anxious you might roll on him so you don’t sleep anyway. But it’s all worth the nose hugs.
7. You feel extra sensitive when someone comments on a parenting choice…and it happens to be the one you had thought long and hard about and were happy with what you made.
8. You still laugh at flatulence. Yes – farts. They’re funny. From a baby only.
9. It takes an extra 15 minutes to “run and pick up the pizza” due to the addition of the big boy car seat. Thank goodness the freckled faced teen decided to bring the final pizza out to you on your third trip balancing baby on one hip and drink and side salad on other.
10. Your heart expands in a million places to accommodate the growing unconditional love, amazement and undying passionate you have for your little being.